Wednesday, June 06, 2007

More Decluttering and a New Prayer Method

Yesterday, in the process of putting together a grocery list, I went through my freezer. While doing this, I took out a few things I couldn't remember when I'd bought them. I also threw away some I knew had reached the freezer burn stage (Never go shopping on an empty stomach). Suddenly I have room in my freezer. I also feel less burdened by the need to use something up and not knowing what to do with it. Now I understand why you often see suggestions to make a menu and shop from it. Yay for decluttering!

My spiritual director gave me a new way of praying which is supposed to be a favorite of Teresa de Avila. To do this put an empty chair in front of you. Sit in yours facing it. Imagine Jesus is sitting in the other and looking back at you with loving eyes. Meditate on this image. That's so easy! I've been doing the empty chair thing for years; I'd just never put Jesus in it. This will work almost anywhere. I tried it out on the drive home while sitting at a long traffic light. It felt so good that it brought a smile to my face. After trying the prayer I found my focus had changed. Things felt more connected, more in the moment. This is definitely something I want to do more of!

No comments: