Tuesday, November 07, 2006

...and still more books!

I thought I was finished with buying books for awhile. It seems I was wrong. In the mail today was a shipment from Quality Paperback Bookclub. This shipment was unexpected. They are supposed to send me an email asking me if I want the current selections. I don't remember any email. So today I had two books in my mailbox.

This club sells better quality literature than the stuff you get from browsing the stacks at most bookstores. That's why I joined. These two books will probably fall in line with the quality of the ones I've ordered from them in the past, but since I didn't know what had been sent I went online to check out the order before I opened it and couldn't send it back. The books that I received are: For One More Day by Mitch Albom and The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis.

I know the name of Mitch Albom. I regret to say, I've never read any of his books. They made a movie out of his Tuesdays With Morrie, and The Five People You Meet In Heaven was on the bestseller lists for a really long time. They apparently made a Teleplay out of it too. With all of that to say about his books I have no doubt I will enjoy reading his latest work.

I've never read any of Kathyrn Davis's books either but the description, on QPB's website, was appealing and on the back of the book are reviews by other authors, usually a good sign. One of the praising descriptions is a little intimidating. Mary Gordon describes it as "metaphysically exploratory, psychologically questioning, and full of suspense." She says the book "combines elements that ought to be unmixable." Wow! After reading the first paragraph of this one I can tell that I will probably not put it down for awhile.

Yes, I opened the package.

2 comments:

San said...

Lee, I read Tuesdays with Morrie. Uplifting and depressing at the same time. I'd recommend it. I believe I've also read For One More Day--if that was the one in which a man who's dying has the chance to spend one last day with his mother, who died many years ago. That's pretty good, but I found Tuesdays more powerful.

Lee said...

Thanks San. Tuesday's With Morrie is actually on my hope to read list. I saw the movie "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." It was different and I'm not sure it was any good as a movie. I suspect it would be better in print. Right now on my bedside there's a double stack of books that I still hope to get around to reading some day. Among them are the Celestine Prophecy, finishing Sex With Kings, and Picasso (the book by his granddaughter). These days I'm wondering if I'll ever have time to read for pure leisure.

Peace!