Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pleasant Close to the Day

The school library is setting up for the twice annual book fair. I think that teacher browsing starts tomorrow but lots of folk are sneaking in, as I did, to check out the shelves. While I was wandering through the place I ran into a student and her mother. The child had been in the kindergarten class that I worked with when I was doing my first set of "approaches" which is to say I got to gain experience in a classroom and teach 2 or 3 lessons.

We said, "Hi!" and the little girl, not quite so little now, remembered me as the lady who read "The Dragons Are Singing Tonight" by Jack Prelutsky. This is one of my all time favorite children's books and it always delights the kids too. They ask for certain poems over and over again. It felt really nice to be remembered for this. The child told me she had heard it not only in kinder but also first grade. Then the mother mentioned that they had borrowed a copy from someone else too just to read at home. This felt so good that I took care to thank the child specifically for remembering me that way and told her how good it had made me feel. We all smiled then and went on our ways.

It probably isn't an everyday occurrence when something like that happens. But, I hope that, as I become a teacher and get to work more and more with children, this type of moment will continue to happen. It was a really nice way to end the day. I left with a smile on my face and in my heart.

Joy all!

2 comments:

San said...

That is so cool, Lee. You've already made a difference for a kid, and that's just one you know about. Think of all the others whose lives you are going to change...I toast you right now with this latte I am drinking--cheers!

Lee said...

Cheers to you too, San! You're right about not knowing when you touch lives. I just got back from the Fall Festival where I ran into students who wanted hugs just because, students who had been in my care in the past, and also a girl from the Middle School I used to work at. It was all so nice and felt so connected. I'm kind of thinking back to that Path of Life post and thinking that maybe this is another example of how our lives cross or parallel others and then part. It can be either sweet or sad. I vastly prefer the sweet. :)

Peace!