Monday, March 17, 2008

Voila! & Cat Silliness

Yay! The new look is up! Some of my wonderful friends have visited and left nice comments. Thank you, guys!

There was a vision, but it happened in bits and pieces. Terry, of Terry's Playpen, did all the html work on this and he is awesome. He also did some Photoshop image adjusting to get me the great banner image. That image started out as a NationalGeographic wallpaper, so I don't feel any guilt in modifying it for my blog. They had already published it as a download for broad personal use. Yes, we took the name off because there just wasn't room for everything to fit in the small space allowed for an image. That's one of the reasons I'm giving them credit here. Plus, I'm not making money off this blog and don't really intend to. It's for personal use and friendly sharing.

Terry tends to downplay his skills, but the creative work he put into that image is fantastic. He cropped it, rearranged sections of it, carved out the edges of flowers and butterflies. He created awesome translucency on the butterfly wings so that you can see the background through them. He has a really great sense of color too. There are so many tiny detail touches that he put in that I couldn't even begin to list them all. Compare the banner image to the original image below and you'll get an idea of just how much work Terry put into it.

When I said the vision happened in bits and pieces, I wasn't kidding. It started as a request for a tag cloud. I casually mentioned that I was thinking about adding a background pattern. Terry picked up both of those ideas, offered to help, and things grew from there. If I ever wondered how a project goes from small to large, I have an excellent idea now. It's those little tweaks and changes you get when people are excited about their work and spend time making things just right. The background pattern got scratched, the image got implemented, also the tag cloud, and the new 3 column format. Plus there's a custom background color now. Lots of work!!!

One of the nice things with this new look is the 3 column format. With that I can now post awards, such as those Sandi has been giving me, without making you scroll forever to see them. The drag and drop feature of blogger is also much more useful in this format because there's actually room to move things around. I'm delighted!

So, there you have it, "my new look!" In the process of creating it, Terry got some ideas for future tweaks and "how to" posts for his Playpen. Be sure to put his blog on your list of those to visit. He is terrific (pun not intended)(well, maybe it is)!

To celebrate the new look, I'm sharing some cute cat pics of Hooboo. Yes, I know, he tends to get star billing and feels it is his due. Fortunately, Hyram knows he is still the love of my life and assures me he doesn't feel neglected. The other day Hooboo was in one of those playful, exploratory moods where none of his usual toys were quite right. He discovered the fringe on the afghan I have for the sofa. In the process of playing with it he crawled under the pillows piled at one end. Suddenly he was in a "pillow jungle" and started having all kinds of exciting adventures. This made enough noise that I was alerted, grabbed the camera, and came up with some great shots.

Here he is crawling up through the "Pillow Jungle". He didn't seem to mind my picture taking this time. I guess he was just having too much fun with his jungle fantasy.

And here he is, having made it to the top of that jungle climb playing peek-a-boo through the pillows. I couldn't resist taking several pictures of that face. He definitely had his cute on.

Enjoy folks! And have a Happy Holy Week!

16 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Hope you've got your green on for St. Paddy's day...we have just gotten back from Mac's appt with his cardiologist and he has to go back in the am for his stress test...he's really thrilled, I can tell. HooBoo and Trouble could be twins...cepting Trouble needs to wear a pirate patch due to his eye problem...I am really loving the "new do"...Terry is Terrific...
hugs
Sandi

Lee said...

Thanks for the Go Green reminder, Sandi! I'll be sure to hunt up something green to add in.

Sorry to hear that Mac needs all those heart tests. I'll keep him in my prayers. Hope he can stay in good spirits. I hear it does wonders.

Yep, we seem to have near twin kitties. Does Trouble get into as many fights with his pride mates as Hooboo does?

Hugs!
Lee

San said...

The pictures of Hooboo in his pillow jungle are delightful. I believe I could crawl into that pillow jungle myself--it does look cozy.

And I'll say it again--you and Terry have done a fabulous job redesigning your blog. LOVE IT!

Lee said...

Thanks, San! Anytime you care to visit I'll tell Hooboo to reserve the pillow jungle for you. :)

And I couldn't have done that look without him. Yes, Terry is fantastic! I'm so glad you like it. That means a lot to me.

Hugs!

Jeni said...

Kudos to you on your new look here and also, for having gone to Terry for help. He is awesome, isn't he? He's the one who did the banner for my blog and I love it! Plus, I have received numerous comments too on that banner which I have relayed back to my friend who gave me permission to use a photo he'd taken of the local area here. A lot of work, but boy, it sure looks fantabulous!

david mcmahon said...

What a wonderful new look, creative and refreshing. I've always thought Terry is a great mentor and very understated about his own contribution to many bloggers.

Lee said...

Thank you, Jeni, for your kind words. Welcome to my place. I went and checked out your banner. It is awesome! Kudos to you too.

Peace!

Lee said...

Thank you, David! I'm delighted you like it.

Yes, Terry is modest when faced with efforts to give him credit for all his great work. Thank you ever so much for introducing him to me. His help is priceless!

Joy!

Sandi McBride said...

Hi my friend, just came in to say goodnight...hugs to that big beautiful tiger cat.
hugs to you
Sandi

Lee said...

Aww, Sandi, I think I went to bed before you did. What a nice thing to wake up to, though. Hope you had a good nights sleep. Mac too.

Hugs my friend,
Lee

david mcmahon said...

I hope you have lots of people poppying, er, popping over to check out the new look!!

Lee said...

poppies...er people are springing up all over. LOL

Thanks for coming over David!

Cheers!

murat11 said...

I repeat: this is one fine wilderness you and Terry have fashioned for yourself. Party on.

Lee said...

Thank you, Paschal. Party on I will. Seems that you share my idea of what a good party is. Yay! We'll have to find more reasons for our church community to party hearty!

Joy!

Fletch said...

Wooo Hooo! I feel like a 'celeb'.

Such kind words from all, for so small a contribution! But I guess I should accept the compliments in the manner in which they were offered and say ...

Thanks Lee, thanks guys - always willing to help if you need it.

Lee said...

You're welcome, Terry! Go ahead and enjoy the feeling of stardom. From my experience those times come all too far between. :)

Cheers!