Friday, November 02, 2007

Moving Days!

We are moving the church services back into the sanctuary today. The repairs are almost done and the pews and carpeting look so much better. There is still some painting going on so the place smells a bit like paint but that will be gone shortly.

Altar Guild members came in and started to work getting the place clean and ship shape as early as 9 AM. When I got there about 10 AM there were a couple of people at work. More showed up slowly. I think every one will be trickling in all day as their individual time allows.

So far we've dusted the pews and woodwork including the altar, narthex and southex shelves, the pipe organ, and the window rails. The kneeling pillows have been put back in place around the altar rail. While all of this was going on our sextant was vacuuming. A good start has been made towards putting books back into the pews. Even our pastor showed up to put his garb back into the correct closet and make sure all his shawls and what not are in the right place. From the way things are going we should be all moved back in by day's end. Tomorrow a team will be setting up for Sunday services in the sacristy. They will enjoy having a ceiling fan in there. It makes it much more comfortable.

Our flags have been put back on their poles and will be in place by the time the 8 AM service rolls around. Our Altar Guild head is ex military, as am I, and we worked at getting those symbols back on correctly. She had taken them home and washed them. It was a trip down memory lane watching her roll the flags and take a pair of scissors and trim off the occasional "Irish pennant". I've no idea why loose string ends are called that, I learned the name in the military.

You can already tell how much better the sanctuary looks. The woodwork gleams. Working on the sanctuary makes you feel good. When you get down on your hands and knees to dust inside the trays that hold the hymnals you learn a lot about the pews you sit in every Sunday. I'd never given them much thought before today. Now I know where all the dust nooks and crannies are and which legs weren't completely bolted to the floor. I also know which pew has a small slit in the wood where two boards were pieced together. Usually there is a nice glue plug, but for some reason there wasn't one on one pew. I don't think it affects anything. It is just that I know it's there and will always wonder about it. After all the work I did in there today it feels more like home, like I own a piece of it. I have vested labor in it and have come away rewarded.

On Sunday morning, I'll show up a little early because my team is doing set up for this weekend. I was asked if I could help on Wednesday night when we are holding a Celtic Mass. This is a really big deal and we want everything to be perfect for it. I have friends who may be coming into town to see this so I had to give a tentative "no." But if they cancel on me, as they did the last time I invited them, then I'll definitely show up to help.

Tomorrow I'm headed over to a friend's house to help her family clean up after their move to an apartment. This is only the first of several moves they will be making over the next few years. I don't envy them the task of packing up again and again. The only good thing about that is you get to keep your clutter to a minimum if you are smart about it. I may be moving myself in April. I need a less expensive apartment and will probably be ready to find one by then. A couple of weeks ago I signed a new lease on the one I'm presently living in. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Rents are going up in San Antonio and the new lease kept my rent from rising drastically. So, if you dislike moving and all that unpacking as much as I do please keep me in your prayers. It would be really nice to not have to move.

All grumbles about moving aside, there have been some good things that came out of my church's temporary move out of the sanctuary. We learned the joys of coziness when doing the Healing Eucharist service on Wednesday nights in the church library. We also learned the pleasure of standing in a line and walking up to our pastor to receive communion instead of him going around the rail. We had the joy of sidewalk cafe dining while the weather was nice. Now we will be able to enjoy once again the wonderful meals our breakfast teams prepare for us every Sunday morning. Change is life and sometimes, life can be good!

4 comments:

murat11 said...

Thanks for all your work on the sanctuary, Lee. I've enjoyed the Brown Hall detour, too, but I'm sure the "return to sanctuary" will be magnificent.

Dangerous to drop unfamiliar terms on surf addicts. Irish pennants sent me off. Plenty about definitions: zilch so far on origins. I suspect, given the definition, that it was yet another British swipe at the Irish: loose threads being deemed their version of a naval flag. I'll keep looking.

Lee said...

Well, Thank you, Murat. After your effort to find out the origins of the term I went looking too. I don't know that I found the reason for the military term, but for the general usage, acceptable even to the Irish I'd think, I found the following on Live QnA Beta:

Best Answer
The term Irish Pennant comes from the old Irish festivals (religious) when all of the "clans" would come into town.
Each "clan" had their own coat of arms embroidered on a pennant that would be displayed at their camp site and at all meetings during the festivals, also at their processions (parades) they would gather along the route and hold up their pennant to show that their "clan" was represented.

You may be right as to how it gained its military usage. I keep thinking that those clans might have been militia for their towns but they probably didn't spend hours trying to look organized, stand in straight lines, or set their tents in rows as the British military did.

San said...

Glad you got to know your church pews a little better, Lee. I need to get to know my cooktop a little better. Yesterday's soup, though delicious, bubbled ever so slightly over the side of the pot. We've got one of those ceramic cooktops that reveals every sin and discretion--kind of a confessional of past meals. It's a devil to clean, requires lots of elbow grease and ceaseless praying to the kitchen god(dess).

Lee said...

Good luck with that cleaning Goddess. I wonder how many elbows she has to scrub with? And thanks for the heads up on buying ceramic cooktops. I promise to not get one. (g)

Peace!