Saturday, February 16, 2008

Response to JS's Page 123 Meme Tag

Fifth sentence of the closest book with 123 pages, huh? Well, I hope Sandi of Holding Patterns will forgive me for not doing her tag first. This one took a lot less time. Sandi, I promise you're next! Oh, and btw...Tag! for this one.

So the meme says grab the closest book with at least 123 pages in it. Turn to page 123 and pick the 5th sentence. Post that sentence and the next 3.

The book I grabbed was "The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie, which my sister gave me at Christmas time. The 5th sentence on page 123 went, "We're learning, through trial and error, to separate out will from God's will. We're learning that God's will is not offensive. We've learned that sometimes there's a difference between what others want us to do and God's will. We're also learning that God did not intend for us to be codependent, to be martyrs, to control or caretake. We're learning to trust ourselves."

OK, that was really the next 4 sentences but I wanted to close out the passage. This book is a book of daily meditations on codependency by a leading writer on that subject. It covers things that fit well within almost any therapy or situation. I'm finding it good to remind myself to set positive limits. I hope to be a consistent reader of this book for my Lenten study.

No comments: