Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Icebound insanity

A neighbor just went out. I watched him pour a pitcher of hot water over his windshield. Next he started his engine. It took several attempts before it kept running. He then went back in and got another pitcher of hot water. I went in and filled one from my tap. He used both telling me cheerfully that he had no idea why he was headed out. Said that yesterday he had driven with nothing more than a small hole in the ice for visibility. Maybe he is feeling as housebound as I am and just couldn't stand it any longer.

When you are icebound you figure out things to do or go insane. I wonder how our ancestors did it before the days of central heat and TV. I find myself spending most of my time in front of my computer, reading and watching the never ending weather reports which all tell me the same thing....that the roads are unsafe to drive. I wonder what my friend, now ensconced in his new home, is doing. He doesn't have cable or dsl up yet so I am pretty sure he is bored stiff.

Tomorrow I am supposed to be doing morning prayer and going to my first class for the spring semester in the evening. I wonder how long it will take for my windshield to deice in the early morning hour of 6:30. Better set the alarm back half an hour.

No comments: