Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Liberty & Turf

Hooboo got his first liberty today. For those who aren't familiar with the military usage of the word it means freedom to leave the ship/base and go out and about.

Hooboo elected to take his when I went onto the porch to do laundry. I'd offered it before, opening the screen door and putting him in the opening but this offer had been declined. He wasn't ready to go out without companionship, which I guess my laundry room visit gave him.

Once on the porch he proceeded to scarf down the food in his old bowl which I had left out there. Uck and Ick! I don't remember how long that food has been sitting there exposed to the elements. Possibly as long as a week and no doubt less than fresh. I hope he doesn't get sick.

He's still outside. He is collared with a rabies tag so I won't worry too much about his getting picked up by the authorities. I think he knows the way home. He should, he'd been sleeping on my porch since June. So, hopefully his liberty will work some of the piss & vinegar out of him and he may feel less aggressive after having reclaimed his old outdoor territory. My biggest hope is that he will then leave Hyram his space and not be so pushy.

I'm worried about Hyram a bit. It looks like Hooboo wants to play but Hyram has started backing himself into corners and hissing. He is trying to protect himself from a perceived threat and I'm wondering what to do about it. I didn't really want to get Hooboo declawed but if he attacks Hyram in a vicious manner I may have to resort to it. I'm not quite ready to go there so they both have time to adjust some more. If you have suggestions on how to handle this I'd be delighted to hear them.

Laundrys done. Yup, Hooboo knows his way home! (g)

No comments: