Saturday, August 11, 2007

Meditation - a new link category

Prayer is meditation. Walking can also be meditation. To my mind, so can singing and dancing. Meditation is a focus on the spiritual. It comes in many shapes and forms and crosses most religious boundaries. It connects us with our past, present and future.

My best friend meditates as frequently as she can fit the time in. Susan seems to meditate through her daily exercise. My sister, when she was younger, took one of those courses on transcendental meditation with a guru. This was during the 70's. She still meditates today in the structure of her faith and life. I'm finding myself doing a form of meditation that has nothing to do with clearing the mind but a lot to do with finding a focus and a connection to the spiritual. My church has a prayer garden which is so meditative in nature that even the spirits of past members rest there. We are in the process of building a labyrinth.

Because so much of faith and communication with God centers around a form of quiet reflection (a.k.a. meditation) I decided that it would be a good thing to include a list of meditation links here. The ones I have found so far are linked to one another. The first is the World Community for Christian Meditation. It led me to The Spiritual Site. From them I found Hamish Fulton who is an artist who loves walking. WCCM has a lot of good information and some really good articles on meditation. One I particularly like is about silence in the Eucharist. The Spiritual Site is a work in progress. They have some very good links in addition to some audio interviews with Laurence Freedman. Hamish Fulton's website is a work of art in and of itself. There is a constant sound of walking and some very beautiful images that fade in and out and blend as you progress through the site.

I'll add more links as I find them. Enjoy!

No comments: