Thursday, August 16, 2007

Stray Porch Kitty becomes New Kitty

In the midst of torrents of rain which Tropical Depression Erin is dropping on San Antonio, stray porch kitty came home from the vet. For a day or two, while his neutering heals, he will be an indoor kitty. Hyram is uncertain about this new member of our family. He likes Hooboo, he just isn't sure he wants to share his kingdom.

The medical news is good. Hooboo had no diseases, no leukemia or kitty HIV, and has been inoculated against both plus the requisite rabies. He did have fleas so they gave him a pill which kills them all in 30 minutes in addition to spraying him with something that makes him smell powdery sweet. And, having been neutered he is now officially an "it" and can't make anymore baby Hooboos.

I'm following the vets instructions. Hooboo gets half his usual quantity of food and water tonight in case he throws up from the anesthesia. He has eaten and Hyram had his bowl right along side. Hooboo has shown his good manners by properly using the litter box. It's nice to know I don't have to go through the process of house training him. He even deigned to play with a puff on a stick.

If I have one reason to complain about the newest member of my family it's that he can't seem to keep out from under my feet. He has curled around and walked in front and under my feet. I'm so afraid that I'm going to step on him that I'm almost chasing him off. I'm sure this will all work out soon and he will develop habits of familiarity that are easier to deal with. I bet he has just been so lonely that he really needs to be held for a while till he feels more secure.

In the mean time, please pray for him and Hyram. They both are new to this brother business and Hyram is 10 while Hooboo is only 1. So its going to be a real adjustment for both of them.

No comments: